Endeavors Supportive housing aims to provide community, assistance, and everyday help to those struggling with homelessness.
For anyone experiencing homelessness, it becomes abundantly clear that “home” is much more than just a place to sleep at night.
Even for those who are able to find a bed at a shelter every night of the week, living without a permanent home is mentally, emotionally, and physically exhausting.
According to one source, the stress of homelessness can damage mental health, worsening previous mental illnesses and amplifying anxiety, fear, depression, sleeplessness, and substance use.
This is why programs that offer supportive housing are so incredibly important to homeless individuals and families.
What is supportive housing?
To put it simply, supportive housing aims to provide community, assistance, and everyday help to those struggling with homelessness.
Instead of handing someone a key and saying, “Good luck! You’re on your own from here,” supportive housing welcomes folks into a stable, loving environment where they will receive ample care and plenty of help transitioning into normal life.
This is why Endeavors®’ Housing Program is its longest-running initiative. From the beginning, we’ve made it our goal to provide permanent supportive housing, case management, professional counseling, life skills training, and employment opportunities for our clients so that they can achieve a life full of stability, successes, and self-sufficiency.
Why are there so many different kinds? (Fairweather Lodge vs Fairweather Family)
For Endeavors®, supportive housing takes on several different forms across the country (mostly in San Antonio, Texas, and Fayetteville, North Carolina).
We know that one size does not fit all when it comes to any service, and so we’ve created several different models.
- The Bonanza Project provides permanent supportive housing, case management, rental assistance, life skills training, and other supportive services for individuals and families in Fayetteville, North Carolina with chronic illnesses, disabilities, or mental health issues.
- Reveille Retreat (located in Fayetteville, North Carolina) provides supportive housing, case management, life skills training, employment development, educational assistance and other supportive services to Veteran women with disabilities and their children.
- Enfield House provides safe and affordable housing, case management, life skills training, and job skills training for low-income adult men with disabilities, with a preference to Veterans. This program is also located in Fayetteville, North Carolina
- Located in San Antonio, TX, Fairweather Lodge is Endeavors®’ longest-running program. It provides permanent supportive housing, case management, and life skills training to single adults with mental illness.
- The Fairweather Family Lodge (also located in San Antonio, TX) provides supportive housing, case management, professional counseling, life skills training, and employment opportunities for chronically homeless women in San Antonio with disabilities and their children so that they can achieve a life full of stability, success, and self-sufficiency in an apartment-style campus.
Does supportive housing work?
According to the Center on Budget and Policy Priorities, supportive housing is an incredibly effective way to help people with disabilities maintain stable housing. People in supportive housing use emergency health services less frequently, are less likely to be incarcerated and are more likely to remain close to their families.
According to more data, permanent supportive housing has helped decrease the number of chronically homeless individuals by 26 percent since 2007.
Want to find out more?
For more information on Endeavors’ supportive housing programs, click here! Or, for referral and admission information for the Bonanza Project, Reveille Retreat, Enfield Housing, Fairweather Lodge, and Fairweather Family Lodge, see below:
- For referrals/admissions to the Bonanza Project, please contact the Housing Coordinator at: 910-302-7650 or [email protected].
- For referrals/admissions to Reveille Retreat, please contact the Housing Coordinator at: 910-672-6166 x244 or [email protected].
- For referrals/admissions to Enfield Housing, please contact the Housing Coordinator at 910-672-6166 x244 or [email protected].
- For referrals/admissions to the Fairweather Lodge, contact the Lodge Coordinator at: 210-208-5700 or [email protected].
- The Fairweather Family Lodge receives all referrals for admission from Coordinated Entry through the South Alamo Regional Alliance for the Homeless. For volunteer opportunities with the Fairweather Family Lodge, contact the Lodge Coordinator at: 210-208-5707 or [email protected].
Endeavors is a longstanding national non-profit that provides an array of programs and services in support of children, families, Veterans and those struggling with mental illness and other disabilities. Endeavors serves vulnerable people in crisis through innovative personalized services. For more information, please visit www.endeavors.org.